01 January 2015

The festive season

New Year's Eve - Melbourne Fireworks 2016

I used to get away over the festive season exploring the wilderness and climbing the mountains.  This year I do the indoor 'walk' sorting out the photographs, which were taken on my walking trips in Tasmania early this year.  The areas where I hiked were remote, wild and fragile and I had to watch out my steps to avoid damages such as the cushion plants.  I enjoyed all the walks I did and most of them were in the Central Plateau, and in Cradle Mountain.    

My first walk was a 6-day trip around the Cathedral Mountain via Chapter Lake and Mersey River.   My second trip was a 8-day walk from the Mersey Forest Rd to Traveller Range via Lake Myrtle Track then back to north via the Never Never and Mosses Creek Track.  Based on the advise from a local walker I’d met at Lake Meston during my second trip, a 4-day Pelion loop plan was abandoned.  Instead, I just made it up to Paddy Nut campsite then explored and climbed with a day pack.   

All these walks were on and off tracks.  Route finding and navigational skills were essential.  Phone reception was very poor.  The only message went through when I was on a high point near the Cathdral Mountain.
Chapter Lake (L) -  Unknown tarn with Du Cane Range in the background (R)
 Waterfalls on the walks

Grail Falls, South of Chapter Lake

 
Hartnett, Fergusson and Boulder Falls on the Mersey River 

 Sunset on Lake Myrtle Camp; Mt Rogoona (L) 
Good view of Jupiter Mtns from Lake Eros tentsite (R)

 Clarke Falls (L), west of Junction Lake
and McCoy Falls in The Never Never
 Du Cane Range from Traveller Range (L)
The Acropolis and Mt Geryon from Traveller Range (R)
Camp near Paddys Nut.  Mt Thetis (L) and Mt Ossa (R)  
Click on the link to The Age - Victoria to see Australia - Melbourne fireworks 2015 video show by Fairfax Media.  
And, for some good firework videos, have a look at this in full screen